Even the three stooges were carpenters for a day, so, why not these present day Virginian stooges be politicians for a day, or so, the thinking goes.
Virginia Governor Ralph (Moe) Northam
- Gov. Ralph Northam faces widespread calls for his resignation after a conservative news site last week published a photo from his 1984 medical school yearbook page showing two men, one in blackface, the other wearing a Ku Klux Klan robe and hood.
- Judging by the yearbook page, it seem that Moe’s explanation is accurate. He did it for the kids. His interest was pediatrics and the politics of lynching.
Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin (Larry) Fairfax
Fairfax, wearing his own face and clothes, is denying allegations that he sexually assaulted a woman at the Democratic National Convention in 2004. Sadly, Vanessa Tyson, the college professor who performed oral sex on Fairfax in 2004 remembers differently, and it’s nothing to write home about her story.
Were Northam to resign, as many have called on him to do, Fairfax would in theory take over as governor. As of now, though, neither man appears to be planning his resignation.
However, Fairfax is facing increased calls to do so after reports emerged that he said “fuck that bitch” about Tyson in a meeting earlier this week.Fairfax when he stopped hoping for promotion.
Virginia Attorney General Mark (Curley) Herring
- And who’s the third on line to Virginia’s governorship? None other than Curley.
- Virginia’s already chaotic executive branch, CNBC announce, became even more tumultuous today, as the state’s attorney general, Mark Herring, admitted he wore blackface at a college party in 1980.
- Herring, a Democrat, is third in line to the governor’s office.
- Herring is second in the line of succession for the governorship.
- The attorney general released a statement Wednesday saying he wore blackface and a wig as a costume decades ago.
As a 19-year-old college student, I liked to dress up but mostly down like rapper Kurtis Blow, and then I liked to perform including wearing black face, as the whites in my college freely did in those days.Herring agreeing to speak only on condition of anonymity.
So, what’s to be done Virginia?
Shall we excuse these Stooges on grounds of ignorance and glib? Shall we say that politicians so obtuse in their youth as to dress up in coned sheets or maybe just on wigs and brown makeup have suddenly matured into better beings? Or shall we just say the past has caught up with them and boot them out of office?
I think we should call for early elections, Virginia.
That’s what TPV would do.
By Dana Neacsu,
TPV Founder and Editor-in-Chief